Thursday, June 30, 2011
Criticism Continues Over Diaz Armory Report: UPDATE: Diaz Responds to Critics
Here is an article from Bob Kappstatter of the Daily News about the fallout from the much anticipated report on the Kingsbridge Armory released by Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. last week. After blocking an earlier deal to develop the Armory, Diaz appointed a task force 15 months ago to explore alternative uses for the site. However, to many people, the 267 page report was short on substance and any ideas that have a real chance of happening given the massive public dollars that would be needed. Kappstatter references the Daily News editorial about the report that said, "No money. No business. No renovation. No employment. No prospects for anything,". The report calls for a number of possible uses, including a sports arena, film studio, an indoor bike track and a megachurch. Kappstatter also quotes a developer who said, "Even the best of these proposals would violate his own conditions,"..."None of these proposals have wall-to-wall living wage jobs, and the best proposal he's got is 420 jobs, of which 270 are living wage." In a tongue and cheek reference, Kappstatter joked that one way resolve the controversy and save a whole lotta money would be to remove the lighting rods from the roof of the structure and hope for a storm. UPDATE: Here is a letter by Ruben Diaz in today's Daily News responding to his critics on the Armory. In this article he likens the Armory to the High Line in the City -- you be the judge.